Saturday, June 29, 2013

Senior Year - Outfit Recap.

OCTOBER 25, 2012. - Maybe cause I'm a dreamer and sleep is the cousin of death.
OCTOBER 14, 2012. - They're all ghosts with just voices.
OCTOBER 11, 2012. - I've learned to live half alive.
SEPTEMBER 7, 2012. - Free your own mind.
NOVEMBER 29, 2012. - Once the storm is over, you won't know how you made it through.

While going through the process of creating my blog, I was certain that the first post I publish must be dedicated to the year that started it all for me. I never once thought that I, Samantha San Antonio would want to pursue a career in this type of industry or even develop a deep thirst for fashion at that. I had begun acquiring a taste for the fashion world towards the end of my third year in high school. Of course, it was nothing too out there. I dipped my feet into the water by playing around with high waisted shorts, crop tops, and whatever else was trending at the time. (High-low skirts and dresses, I believe.) Whenever I felt as if my outfit was decent enough to share I'd bring on the mirror selfie, #ootd, and post it on instagram.

None of this became serious until a good friend of mine shot my senior portraits on the streets of downtown Portland. I remember my outfit clearly: black bustier, light washed high waisted shorts, a grey poncho cardigan, a black slouchy beanie, and my knock off JC suede Litas. I didn't realize that I'd actually enjoy the atmosphere being in front of a camera could bring you. Before the school year started, I decided to post one of my senior portraits onto a website called lookbook, where people and models around the world showcased their style. I began posting to pictures of my outfits throughout the year more frequently, loving both being in front of a camera as well as styling the outfit I was wearing. The more I posted, the more I thought that I wanted to become a model. Regardless of having all odds against me (I'm an inexperienced Asian standing at 5'7" with imperfect measurements and pretty much no bone structure at all), I continued to strive toward getting to where I want to be. By the beginning of the new year, my first photoshoot/collaboration with Urban Lace Jewelry, a local Portland company, was published in a local magazine. But because I was so focused on booking jobs and gaining experience, I slowly stopped using lookbook and the year had continued on.

Senior year was rough. By having to deal with loss, school itself, personal struggles, and the pressure of the future I lost my motivation toward modeling and realized that it wasn't the best option for me. Instead, I simply desired to be a part of the fashion industry. 

As for my style, I've embraced the fact that change is constant so I try to be open to all trends. Before all this, I had thought my sense of style was diverse but I realized that I  have a tendency to  I had a toughen up anything too feminine. As you can see, I'm obviously a sucker for beanies, thigh high socks, and anything distressed during the colder months but I'm all for the free spirited patterns and romantic boho style during the warmer seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment